Saturday, June 21, 2008

You can't hide the red....or can you?

It has been two full years since I graduated from the fine institution on the banks of the French Broad River. So many things have changed in these two years. One, I don't have to sell my plasma to make money anymore. I have a job with a great church and a great staff. Two, my roomate is no longer a guy. Katie is by far the best roomate I have had, no offense Zube. And three, I can no longer stay up until 2 in the morning watching movies and eating Taco Bell. I am usually asleep by 10:30 and if I even look at Taco Bell past 8:00 I can almost bet I will be up at 2:00 chugging down a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

But the biggest change in my life is my Redneck-ness. I have noticed subtle things that have hinted at some redneck tendencies but I have chalked up them up as coincindencies, but now I am not to sure. Since moving to Greenfield. I have purchased a truck, rifle and shotgun. My friend Steve helped my build a motocycle complete with a King and Queen seat and an American flag tank. My radio dial is set to HANK FM and I often catch myself grinning and sining along to songs like Redneck Yaght Club. But the kicker happened today. I found myself googling information on the start of squirrel hungting season. (Which is August 15 if anyone is interested)

When did this happen is the the question I continue to ask myself. Have I always had redneck tendencies or is this something I have picked up from the people around me. My friend Dean continues to tell me that I can't hide the red. But its troubling, how did I go from listening to Death Cab to Montgomery Gentry. I used to google when the next Nada Surf show was and now I google when the next hungting season starts. Again this troubles me.

But I will press on. I will continue to be lead a double life. I will blare Ryan Adams as I clean my guns and I will continue to read Field & Stream as I sit in the cool trendy new coffee house. Because as much as Dean likes to think that you can't hide the red, I think I will try

2 comments:

Betsy said...

hahaha...good comeback post. i like it when you blog.

Bethany Zumba said...

well, we all knew you had it in ya.