Thursday, August 7, 2008

the sound of football

this morning was a good morning as i got ready and read my bible to the sounds of the high school marching band practicing nearby...katie and i bought our house back in november near greenfield central high school...as the band practiced i couldn't help but think of crisp friday nights in october...it also reminded me of warm saturday afternoons in september in some college town...as i imagined the smell of the tailgate parties i couldn't help but become anxious for the fall and the start of football season...

at the same time it makes me sad...the last two falls i have coached high school football at greenfield central...because of the increased responsibility in my life (ie new wife/new house/new job) coaching fell last on the list as far as priorities...i am excited however to attend some games this fall and get to be a spectator again...

so with all that being said...

go cougars
go boilers
go steelers

3 comments:

Don Crane said...

Hello Charlie,
It is amazing what this time of year brings. My mother used to (probably still does) this time of year "the Indian Days of summer." I never truly understood what that meant, but as an adult, I think it is the final days of summer that bring to mind the great memories of summer in the past. Thanks for sharing and always remember we band members usually had more fun...Don

Betsy said...

i used to live next to our high school and hear the band practicing and the football team and see cross country runners fly past the front of our house. i miss it so! I even miss two a days. I never thought i'd say that at the time. here's to fall sports! oh and you should check out the song "high school band" by andrew osenga because it also makes me feel the same way.

Unknown said...

i really thought there would be a mention of the sound of cleats on the blacktop. i love that sound