Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Conversation With Pills

I recently came across a quote by Bob Dylan that was posted on the Facebook of an old friend of mine. It's a good thing that Facebook keeps us up on all the happenings in our friends lives. I mean it would be difficult to make it through a day not being able to know at any moment which of my friends have changed their picture, mood, status, clothes or hairstyle. I can't imagine a life of not knowing who is writing on who's wall and who suddenly changed their relationship status from single to engaged. So here's to you Facebook "News Feed." (reader should detect a strong sense of sarcasm)

"People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient and repent later."
-Bob Dylan

This quote strikes a chord in my mind not because of its inaccuracy but because of its truth.

This realization led me to ask the question, "Is a belief still a belief if you compromise that belief?"

George Barna is a Christian researcher who conducts opinion polls studying the religious beliefs of Americans. In a book called Real Teens Barna explores the "Mosaic" generation (1994-2005) The research that Barna expresses concerning this generation is fascinating, but the thing I found most striking was this statement:

"...the mosaic generation is abundantly comfortable with contradictions."

Now with this in mind we go back to the question, "Is a belief still a belief if you compromise that belief." Our grandparents would answer No. Our parents and many people my age would say No. But I wonder about this Mosaic Generation. I would like to think that they would all answer No right a long with me, but I am not sure that they would.

What I see as a youth pastor is Bob Dylan's quote in very practical ways. I see the answer to this question being "No" when I ask them in small group or when they happen to read my blog. However I see this question being answered "Yes" in much of how they live their lives. The life that they live on the Internet through their Myspace or Facebook is often a far cry from what I see on a Sunday morning, at a week of church camp or on a mission trip. I have the privilege to get to see a heart beautifully open to God. I see their passion, love and humility. This is one of the greatest joys that I have as their youth pastor and someone who cares deeply about the direction of their life.

On the flip side some of saddest times come as I look through their Myspace and Facebook pages, confront a unrepentant heart about being caught in a sin or over hear a conversation at school I "wasn't supposed to hear" when they thought I wasn't there.

The fact is I feel overwhelmed. If this is true of this generation, if they really would compromise their beliefs all the while planning to repent later, if that is really how this generation operates, I am scared to death. There aren't enough books, seminars or retreats for us to take care of this problem. We aren't gifted or equipped enough to change this type of mindset. So this is it. My first and last blog as a youth pastor...unless

We serve a God that can make the sun stand still in order to redeem us.-Joshua 10:1-15

unless...

We serve a God who can deliver us from darkest places in our lives.-Daniel 3:19-30; 6:1-28

unless...

We serve a God who'll always fight for us when our hands our raised to him.-Exodus 17:8-15

Our struggle is not against flesh and blood. Its a spiritual battle. We can't win this battle with a 5 step program we learned at Youth Specialties. We win this battle with arms raised in prayer pointing toward the reckless raging fury of Almighty God. Pray for this generation.

1 comment:

Going Weston said...

man, it's about time we have another way to communicate. And another way for me to embarrass you and attempt to get you fired. Let the games begin.

But you're right...I should have at least made reference to the first time I saw that movie. It was a milestone of my heart and I'm terribly sorry I didn't give you credit.

Don't worry, I'll make it up to you.