Monday, October 29, 2007

A Sledgehammer, Tampon Machine and the Risen Christ

One of my favorite things about attending the hollowed institution on the banks of the French Broad River is that students do not have classes on Mondays. For some very good reasons, which I will not expound upon in this post, Johnson Bible College (where a heart can grow its wings) gives their students this day off.

One of the great advantages to having Mondays off is when there is some national holiday that doesn't fall on Monday you get even more time off from class. Case in point:

My senior year, Easter fell during the week that was not over our Spring Break. In past years the two had come at the same time negating any chance of extra time off over Easter. But as I mentioned this year Easter came at the perfect time.

Being the observant Christian college that it is, Johnson decided to give their students not only Good Friday off but Thursday as well. (As to not throw off the class balance) That was all it took. Thursday off Friday off Saturday off Sunday off Monday off, and the entire campus was cleared out by late Wednesday night. With the exception of some staff, a broke down car in the parking lot, and the poor married students with jobs, the campus was desolate. Or was it?

The campus wasn't completely dead. I along with Jacob Mapstone decided to enjoy the peacefulness and serenity that would accompany a vacant college during a five day break. For me one of the main reasons for staying came as a result of the eight hour trip back to Francesville in the previous month. You might be wondering why would a poor young man who desires above every other desire to preach the word of God make this long trip back to Francesville in the middle of February. One word, Superbowl! (Please someone comment me and tell me how wrong I am. That you look it up and the origin of the Superbowl is actually this meaning it’s actually two words. PS-Anyone reading this remind me to tell you about a sermon I preached where one of the teens corrected the accuracy of my sermon during invitation time)

My friend Chris has a finished basement complete with his own movie theatre. In his movie theatre Chris has two rows of four recliners hooked together. The second row of recliners in elevated above the first row in order to see. The screen is 120 inches wide. For those of you who took math at JBC, that’s 10ft wide. High Definition projector, speakers, subs, track lighting and NFL Sunday Ticket accent an already beautiful room. Now you might think that Chris is a Colts fan being that he grew up in Indiana his whole life, but he is a die hard Steelers fan. Because of our mutual love of the Steelers, Chris would invite me over every time I was home to watch the game. The Superbowl was no exception. All that to say, I stayed at school during our five day Easter break because of my recent travels....

TO BE CONTINUED TOMORROW!

2 comments:

Going Weston said...

oooo I can't wait

Betsy said...

and you ate easter lunch at my house and we hid eggs.