Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Charbroiled Christmas

During the month of December Park Chapel is doing a series called: Jesus, the Story of Christmas. We will obviously be focusing on Jesus' story but we asked our congregation to send us their favorite Christmas story. We took the stories we thought were most captivating and filmed the people telling their story. We will show this videothroughout this series. The remaining stories not chosen to be filmed will be compiled in a booklet that will be passed out closer to Christmas.

I liked this idea and wanted to participate. Here is what i submitted:

My favorite Christmas ever doesn’t start out with everyone all nestled in bed with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head. It started out when I learned that my house had burned down. It was December 4, 2000 and I was sitting in my United States History class when my principal came to the door and asked to speak with me. My mom met me in the principal’s office and together we cried there before we went to see our house, the only house I had ever known. Things didn’t get easier as I looked to my Dad and saw the tears in his eyes as we both watched our house burn on that cold December afternoon. Seeing tears in the eyes of a man who had been so strong for so many years for so many people shook me up. This man, the rock and foundation that I could depend on, look vulnerable and weak. I realized later a vulnerable weak person is just what God needs to make the best Christmas ever.

God went on to make it the best Christmas ever by providing a house not only for the night but until April. He made it the best Christmas ever by using my best friend Andrew when he brought us a Christmas tree and decorations for our temporary house. God made it the best Christmas ever when used a teammate of mine who gave me presents that were wrapped and addressed to him. And He made it the best Christmas ever when he used countless other people who made food, bought clothes and other essential items, gave gift cards, wrote letters and cards of encouragement, and prayed on our behalf.

God displayed his power and authority by orchestrating the best Christmas ever for me and my family through the loss of our house. God doesn’t need Christmas trees and presents, ornaments and lights to make the best Christmas ever. He needs his people to have weak and vulnerable hearts toward his power and authority.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

yet this was probably my worst Christmas ever. just as i was not a part of the story you just told, i felt not a part of that Christmas. my home was gone too, but because my "stuff" was still safely tucked away in johnson hall second floor north, i was forgotten. or at least it felt that way. the love went to the 3 francesville ketchens. not sure why i tend to feel like the outsider that gets left out and left behind so often. i guess it's satan.